Saturday, November 24, 2012

Easton, PA November 23, 2012

Friday November 23, 2012

Easton PA

We drive along highways and byways, farms, and hills and valleys. People leading ordinary lives, crowding the malls and Walmarts in search of the elusive 50 inch flat screen 200.00 television.

I am in search of the elusive perfect concert.

The lovely Easton is thronging with people, the Santa parade and Candle lighting ceremony is tonight, and the search is on for the perfect parking spot. I summon one up using my magic powers. Actually we drive around all the detours and get lucky. Decided against seeing Santa, but I was tempted when I saw the balloon scultures, one had a decidedly naughty shape.

We go to the theater. I never liked this place, yet I continue to return, why one asks? Why do you think? I answer. It is run by volunteers, all older, and slow moving, with bad attitudes, as if they were doing you a favor by ripping your stub. The lady insists on telling me where my seat is. I insist I do not need to be told, as I end up in this row all the time. I dodge the pack of stern faced ushers at the top of the aisle, go down and hop around another set of ushers and patrons staring at the ticket and the seat numbers, and come up to my seat.

I was sitting in either the third row center, or fourth row side, outside a 2 row pit, depends on who's delusion or reality you subscribe to. And Ive sat here many times. I have the old stubs to prove it.

I sit next to someone, who starts the conversation "You a Moody Blues Virgin?"

Horrors!

I politely inform them that No, I've been to many, many shows.

How Many, they ask, informing me that they rarely miss a show in the area.

Well, neither do I, and I don't live in this area.

Really, how many?

Hundreds.

Shock, the jaw opens.

No, Really.

Yes.

How do you do that?

I go every night, every tour, every year, every where.

The converstion abruptly ends. Someone else shows up, a real fan as indicated by their wardrobe of purchased merchandise, because only the elite fans know how to get to the table in the lobby to buy tshirts, SHHH dont tell anyone. Well, it was confirmed that I am obviously an imposter, as they dont recognize me either. So, not being the me that goes to these shows, I continue the evening.

By being harrassed by the usher. It had come to the ushers attention that I was not in my seat, that I was seat jumping to this fabulous 6th row near the wall seat. I was asked for my stub, informed that I had to move, until I pointed out that I was in fact in the correct seat. We also had to inform this dimwitted cluck that my travel partner was not sitting with her husband. I have been accused of various behaviors, and predilections, but rarely have I been accused of being a "not husband". I would like to know why I was singled out, because no one else was subject to the same rigorous seat identification methods I was.

And the concert begins

Gemini Dream, sung to the usual standards with a mis sung verse. Dont ask which verse, as they rattle us up in the audience by randomly singing two different ones at the same time, in a different pattern each time. Quite exciting.

The Day we Meet again wasnt tonight, and may not be for a while.

Say it With Love had a nice yodel to it. Unexpected extra high warbling.

Not half as many people as you may have been lead to believe were known to be out there somewhere, and the story as always, was in my eyes.

In my wildest dreams there was a hint of country yodels again, and

The other side of life was sung in several other keys before the correct one was hit. There were several blue glowsticks doing a new pattern, not the usual customary and accepted correct one, nor the lack of rhythm one that is seen often, as not all of us can coordinate the sway of a bass player in tight trousers with our extended arms. Im not sure if this was to attract circling air planes or the debut of something new. So, begs the question, how does one rehearse for this? Im filing this to ponder at a later date.

Nights in white satin had a new verse, Just what you want to be, you will soon understand. I certainly hope so, I might have to ask for clarification of that from the author.

By the time the Question was asked, the same 4 ladies were standing over the side, as had been standing all concert, except when the Nasty Usher was doing his shift.

The audience was not the good looking old hippies having a great time as is usual at this place, it looked a bit like a convention of constipated bankers. Basically, like no one there was giving a poop about the show.

The Band was in good voice, good energy, each song started off with a Pow!, but some had a fizzle and not a sizzle at the end. Fatique? lack of audience participation? The line of camera lenses instead of faces? Who can say. Time will tell, and maybe I will too.



No comments:

Post a Comment