Tuesday, November 27, 2012





Sunday November 25, 2012

Return to the turning of Westbury

Once more I find myself drawn to an otherwise non descript piece of property in Long Island. Why? I ask over and over again. My life is spinning out of control, things whizz past me, and I'm hearing voices, or I'm at the fourth Concert at this venue in 7 months. Anyway, here I am. We arm ourselves with the resolve needed to face the parking lot musclemen, and refuse to accept anything less than our customary space, being who we are, after all.

The same happy hippies in BMW's Mercedes and Cadillacs arrive, flashing cash, buffed nails, perfectly coiffed hair, and tailored coats. The wives also were well groomed. After my lesson learned the night before, not remembering when cleavage might be necessary, I am prepared. I can put my feet up on the stage from where I am sitting, but I won't tell you what row it is, and anyway, that would be rude to the performers, and unladylike, not to mention any unmentionables.

The person to my left asks me if I want to know the set list?

No.

Really, I have it from last night, I was here

So were several hundred others, including me, No.

I have all the songs except the ones I dont know.

I know all of them, and I did say no, didn't I?

Well she was through with me after that. I do have a way with total strangers, but I see it as their fault, no recognizing me, after all. I hope I have the look of happiness surrounding me, and a twinkle in my eye, not the unfocused glazed glare of the delusional and psychotic. Must check my eyes out in a mirror, and practice sanity. When I return back to the real world.

We are each in our own universe, pressed to gether like pages in a book, glimpsing at the worlds to our immediate sides, but not going past a certain limit. While out on the road, we are trying to get to a concert, others are trying to get home, to work, to friends and family. We pass them, some we pass may even be trying to get to the same concert as us. The spaces between our universes expand, as if the book pages were ruffled, looking for a bookmark, and then settle back in again, close, yet so far away.

The lights go down, and we are all transformed by either the well placed stage lights, or the safe darkness of the theater, and go back through time and space. The music brings us there, washing over us, pulsating and driving us to the remembered times of the past, while simultaneously enjoying the present.

How many of us did naughty things to these songs? My hand is raised, but I'm not telling what songs I did what naughty things to, or with whom, or when, that would be naughty.

The people on stage sported fabulous foot wear, and hair. How do they find the time to shop, with all the traveling and rehearsing? Talent.

Stand out songs of the night

Gemini Dream, did not have the mystery verse included. It was practically perfect, yet I long for the mystery verse.

Gypsy. Pointedly Perfect. No adjusting necessary.

You and Me again, great audience recognition

Nervous I love that song, and so do many others

IKYOTS I had fun singing a verse along with a certain blondish person, of a not too tall description

YWD again, see above.

With the revolving stage, one never knows when one will be facing someone. I siezed the moments. Because there was security preventing people from siezing anything else.

ILS great miscellaneous percussion

H&H Dancing prancing bass player with something in his eye, he kept winking and a great three measure sustain from the guitar player as the bearded one finished up his dance.

Question, again, the audience was singing along the ENTIRE song so loudly and beautifully, we were given our verse to sing back to the author

RMSS So great, one forgets to be sad that the show is over.

Dodgem cars in the lot, and a blasting drive back over the bridge, to a reality we left just a few hours ago.

 

 

1 comment: