Monday, November 26, 2012

Saturday November 24, 2012

Let's Drive to Long Island

Waking up in the morning. the collective chorus of "ow", "ouch" "oh my" is heard. Not even a long hot shower with luxury soaps can wash away this fatique, so I use the provided products, and hope for the best. I dress for a long car ride, and hope for more road side meals. We take the scenic route, and see New Jersey. We don't see any storm damage other than the ocassional downed tree, the same as at home, but I am not on a disaster tour of the Northeast. I am in search of a stellar concert experience.

We arrive at the proper venue hours early, despite traffic. And a trip thru the theater district of NYC. Now what? so we go for a walk. Back sitting in the car, I observe the patrons of this fine facility. Everyone drives too fast down the access road to the parking lot, and the attendants, there to assist in the proper parking of all the cars, accept folded bills of currency from some of the shiniest and most expensive cars, and these cars are placed in strategic spots, allowing for easy egress. alas, a thousand cars all trying to get out at the same time, with several jaguars and mercedes blocking the way makes it difficult for the rest of us, and the attendants were not in sight. A luxury car free for all. some one alsways win, though, and we did escape in time.

Back to sitting around observing the people. Gone were the sour faces seen in Easton, in their places were the faces of happy hippies, the survivors of Woodstock, all bathed and prosperous. And some with the tell tale limp of needing new hips and knees. Nothing wrong with that. The audience was predominately male, with many men in pairs arriving, not those kind, no, just friends. Not that there is anything wrong with that either.

Once again I sit next to someone who asks if I am a first timer? Does no one know who I am anymore?

There stood over past me a bit, a gentleman wearing a tshirt advertising an upcoming ocean voyage event. He stood, back towards one half of the audience, then turned, and did this for a few minutes, then sat down. A few rows over and down, another man in a similar shirt, coincidently advertising the same event, then stood up, posed, turned, posed again. Then they both stood up, gave each other full frontal. It was like watching two peacocks circling each other. They finally gave up and waved. Whats with this ocean voyage event that makes one puff up and pose? The man next to me informed me that is was a special VIP cruise for special people. I suppose one needs to be in the know to find these things out. I'll wait for an invitation from and Important Person, myself. If I am as VIP as I think I am, I should beinvited.

The concert was fabulous, a few more of the kinks ironed out, and muscles exercised.

If you want a good concert, my advice is to be a good audience. The concert is in the round, with a revolving stage, and as such, one gets to see thing not usually seen with a standard stage show. Like a view of  2/3 of the audience at any given time.

I truly enjoyed watching all the people singing along to "You and Me" and "Nervous" And yes, I do take my eyes off the stage to see the audience, if it wasn't for all the people buying the tickets in all the cities and towns, None of us would be there.

The sing along to "Question" was fabulous. Almost drowned out the singer, he did let the audience sing a lyric, which doesnt always happen, really looked pleased with the results. There is no "off the stage come back for an encore" thingy here, would take too much effort going up that dark ramp, so, there is some millimg about, and the count town begins. The arm waving during the last song is fun when half the audience is in front and the other half behind, and all waving in different directions.

Then the massive pile up to get out, all those bad hips and knees, all danced and sung out, trying to go up a steep ramp, and out the two exits, and into the parking lot, with some darn fool coming down the up ramp, and people trying to leave, all the peace and love from the show wearing off quickly. I have gotten used to people proclaiming that they are saying it with love only to use that as a veiled threat. So, a Cadillac Escalade not letting me cross the street? minor in my day. And as I stated, we won. we got out safely, and got home with all the correct pieces in place.

Did I mention the front row? I won't.
I also won't mention who wiped their nose, then peaked at their sleeve to see the results.

And we get to spin round and round again tomorrow!

1 comment: